Pages

Thursday 26 April 2012

Welcome to My Gardening Blog!

Welcome!

Now that spring is here, it is time to get busy in the garden! Many of you will have already started your bedding plants and depending on where you live, may have even made trips to the nurseries in search of new plants. I will be holding off on planting anything for at least three more weeks, except maybe my onions. I don't get too anxious to put anything out until after Victoria Day long weekend; we see rain and snow that weekend more often than not.

I have been tossing around the idea of a gardening niche blog for awhile now. I enjoy spending time out in my garden, and love plants. My houseplant numbers have dwindled over the years due to a couple of moves and inadequate natural lighting; numbers have gone from well over 50 to about 20 (give or take - I haven't actually counted them).

My goal with this blog is to help novice and veteran gardeners alike have the best gardens and houseplants out there. I have learned many things about plants over the years, mostly through trial and error. My gardening history goes back as far as I can remember; I used to love going to my grandparents' place because there was always something tasty to eat in the garden. They used to also preserve as much as they could, so the home-grown fruits and vegetables didn't end just because winter had set in.

We used to spend almost every weekend at our grandparents' house, and one of my chores every Saturday I was there was to water the houseplants. My Grandma had a greener thumb than I do, and could make anything grow. One of her kitchen windows faced North, and she had built shelves there to house her African Violet collection. I have never had the luck with African Violets that she did, but I am attributing that to them being finicky. What has been your experience with African Violets?

They also had a huge vegetable garden. I can recall digging potatoes, shelling peas (ate more than I put in the bowl I'm sure), picking raspberries, digging up carrots (there's a neat little story about their garden I will share in a not-too distant post) and the list goes on. I never thought of helping in the garden as work; well, except for the pulling weeds part.

Thank you for joining me, and subscribe so you can stay informed about the variety of plants available, gardening methods, soil amendments, composting, garden decor and more.

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment